[Events] Gearing up for WMF Hackathon exit survey

Nick Gwynne nzg at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 25 17:54:20 UTC 2012

Inline responses get bloated after a while, so I'm going to just respond up
here.

Definitely put name and email address at the end, as well as age. There are
actually independent reasons to ask for identifying information last (as
long as they are optional).

OS people used is good, including version (in case people don't think to
naturally include that). I'd probably make this two separate questions, for
ease of analysis. Additionally, I looked at it and I think that splitting
the wiki contributing and open source questions into two each would be a
good idea. For the OpenHatch question, why specify that it was when the
friend had heard about it? Why not say "How likely would you be to
recommend that someone go to an OpenHatch event, if it were occurring near
them?" General survey notes: If you give prompts, it will heavily bias
people. Make sure you cover all the relevant things, unless you are okay
with getting a weirdly biased sample (ie: "Oh, people really liked to *editing
a wiki, writing to a mailing list, commenting on bug reports, submitting a
patch, reviewing others' code*, that's weird...")

More potential questions:

   - Initial level of participation:
      - Have you ever done wiki editing before?
      - Have you ever contributed to an Open Source project before?
   - Follow up to "what was your favorite part?" would be "Which of these
   did you not even know about?", a checklist item.
   - While firsts are good, I think asking additional questions about what
   they did at the hackathon would be useful: "What was the main thing you did
   at the hackathon?"

Hope this is helpful, and let me know if I can assist in any other way (or
with more questions/feedback).

-Nick