[Events] Advice on awkward situations for women-and-their-friends events

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Dec 6 02:49:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've had the honor of helping Sheila Miguez a bunch lately with the
Chicago Python Workshop, which included helping draft text they used to
ask an attendee to not come back (which was a situation that, upon my
careful consideration, I believe they took the right action. The person
did immediately apologize and indicate he was in the wrong).

Anyway, I took some time to write up some advice for "women and their
friends" events that covers various awkward or touchy communications one
may send. Examples, from most positive to most negative:

* Making sure trans women are clearly and respectfully welcomed

* Writing a code of conduct

* Asking someone to leave the group

I happen to really enjoy the challenging task of writing text that is
suitably clear, firm, and friendly, so it's a pleasure to help with these
sorts of things.

It's a draft, and if I have made some mistakes that would be bad news to
become real recommendations, then I'd love feedback. Or if there are other
topics worth covering, I'd be happy to hear that too.

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Women_and_their_friends is the page!

I'm also encouraging Sheila to write a blog post pointing to the note, for
the OpenHatch blog, so maybe as soon as tomorrow it will get some more
public attention. For now, basically no one has seen it yet, so you all
are among the first!

If anyone feels the need to reply to me personally, off the archived list,
with their feedback, I would welcome that too and respect your privacy.