[Events] Thoughts about a future events.openhatch.org

Karen Rustad karen.rustad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:16:41 UTC 2011

A summary of my feedback from IRC:

1.) With grical only do we lose branding support, oh god it is ugly.
Designer's nightmare. I wouldn't feel happy about asking people to either
look at this or enter in events here. (Do bear in mind that adding events
is also an important use case for us--if no one wants to use our calendar
for that, there won't be anything interesting to see!)

2.) Grical's RSS feeds are for all events in the system, and don't include
the event descriptions. JSON also doesn't include descriptions (excepting a
kludge involving parsing grical's rawtext format). We need access to
descriptions in order to adequately recommend events to people on e.g.
their dashboard.

3.) Time zone support is definitely important for us -- it looks like most
of the current set of Grical events are in Europe, and that's an issue that
affects both reading and writing.

4.) In general, I find this proposal for events.oh.o reasonable. I just
want to make sure that whatever third-party we outsource this stuff to
doesn't turn into a giant headache later, both in terms of usability and
actual functionality/data access.

5.) I think events.oh.o should be a real website, though if we have to
forward to the wiki page for a little while as a stopgap, whatever, that's
fine.

-- Karen