[Events] Boston Python workshop: Volunteer wrap-up meeting

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:43:40 UTC 2011

Thanks for writing these up, Asheesh!

I have a bit of a speech for the people who are planning workshops
like this one, so let me start with that. For context, I was one of
the organizers for the Boston Python Workshop, was the lecturer, wrote
the ColorWall, and helped attendees with both projects on Saturday:

This first Boston Python Workshop was an experiment. It was a
phenomenal learning experience for us, and we have a lot of ideas for
how to make the workshop better and plan to run a revised event based
on what we learned. I was thus surprised to hear after PyCon that
people were planning to re-run an approximation of the original event;
it wasn't the intention of the organizers for the workshop as it
existed in the first run to be replicated, in particular because we
haven't converged on excellent project choices / implementations for
this event structure yet.

So, for people who are scheduling similar workshops with plans to use
the web app or ColorWall instructions from the Boston workshop: I
strongly encourage you to look at those projects and see if they are
really the best choices for your event. My opinion is that you will
have better results with smaller, more focused projects.

I do plan on getting people together soon to work on short (~1 hour)
modules as candidates for the next Boston Python Workshop, and I'll
keep this list in the loop on progress on that front.

And that's my speech. Feel free to send me mail or ping me on IRC
(jesstess on freenode) if you have questions or want me to elaborate
on something. The bottom line is that it is awesome that people are
excited about running these kinds of workshops, and my goal is not to
apply stop energy to excited people, but to encourage and facilitate
successful events as much as I can.

===

Fleshing out some of Asheesh's bullet points:

- "* Ned was a little bit bothered by the fact that ". I think this
line ends with "someone jumped the waiting list and showed up on
Friday/Saturday".

- "* Jess suggests we allocate more time in the schedule to do
lecture." We talked about a couple of ways to do this. One is to make
the lecture 3 or so hours on Saturday instead of 2, at the expense of
project time. Another is to add a small component to Friday that is
somewhat self-directed and might help reinforce the setup concepts
people had trouble forgetting (eg. "these are how numbers and print
statements work"). Another is to restructure the event as a 2-day
event on a Saturday and Sunday, so that we have more time.

-Jessica