[Events] Today's meeting agenda

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:51:52 UTC 2011

>  2. [Jessica] Write up an outline for the lecture material. Deadline:
>> Monday, Feb. 21st.

It became clear to me as I started thinking about this that what's probably
best is a very simple outline, + a discussion between Asheesh and me about
how much detail he'd like to set by me for the curriculum.

So here's a short outline:

   1. Basic data types: numbers, strings, brief unicode diversion, lists,
sets, dicts. Also print, comment characters.

2. Flow control: if, for, while, break, continue

3. Functions

4. Error handling

5. I/O: raw_input, file I/O, sys.argv

6. Classes: classes, self, inheritance

7. Modules: modules, __name__ == "__main__"

This is basically the first half of http://docs.python.org/tutorial/ with
the more advanced or irrelevant-to-our-projects material taken out.

What Asheesh and I will do next is talk about how much structure he wants
coming from me, and I'll send more detailed follow-up outlines to the list
if Asheesh wants them. I have a bunch of short example scripts for these
topics that I'll put up somewhere too.

-Jessica