[Events] OpenHatch student immersion: starting up again

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Aug 3 21:14:19 UTC 2011

Hi all people who care about OpenHatch events,

I'm aiming to organize a few more workshops like the fairly-successful one
at Penn last year. They are hands-on workshops and contribution events
that teach students how to participate in the global free software
ecosystem. The structure we did at Penn was one day of learning, one day
of projects (hacking).

(You can read about the one at Penn at
http://penn.openhatch.org/old-index/ and
http://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1
)

I want to run a few of these over the course of the next year. If other
people run other such events (with or without using the materials I'm
planning to publish), and they're in line with the same goals, I'd love to
hear about them on this list, too.

The next step for me, as I see it, is to write up a web page explaining
what the event is, and then contact people from various universities and
see if they can help bring the event to them. I'm hoping that
colleges/universities can pay for my travel expenses, and that I reach out
to universities in areas with a substantial number of free software
contributors.

In terms of diversity, at Penn, we saw enthusiasm and attendance from
people who looked fairly different; gender-wise, about 1/3 were young
women, for example.

If you want to help, I'd love:

* Help reaching sponsors.

* Suggestions for schools to reach out to, and/or contacts there.

* Review of the website that explains the event (when it is ready).

The clock is ticking! Students get back to school pretty soon. I have to
give a talk in Berlin in two days, for which I must prepare, so a
realistic estimate of when the above website will be ready is about a week
from now, Wed, August 10.