[OH-Dev] Meeting Minutes from the 2015-06-25 OH Discussion at Open Source Bridge

Philip James pjj at philipjohnjames.com
Thu Jul 9 16:16:28 UTC 2015

There was an impromptu discussion about OpenHatch and it's future at Open
Source Bridge in Portland two weeks ago. These are the minutes from that
meeting, with annotations of speaker wherever possible. These minutes are
not exact, but I hope I've captured the sentiment. Feel free to make
corrections.

Attendees: Asheesh Laroia (AL), Elana Hashman (EH), Philip James (PJ),
Cathy Theys (CT), Bradley Kuhn (BK)

Notes:

   - The main OH website should basically be replaced with the content of
   campus.openhatch.org (AL)
   - Projects and profiles on OH-Mainline should be deprecated and removed,
   they're probably more trouble than they're worth (EH)
      - We should measure how much they're actually being used
   - We should replace the missions in OH-Mainline with coursera or edx
   content that is curated/created by OH members
   - It might be worth spinning off learn-irc.com (or something like that)
   to replace the IRC mission - general usefulness to the internet at large
   - When people fund OH, they're mostly funding the campus events - BK
   - Search has high SEO and engagement, and should be fixed rather than
   abandoned (EH)
   - The wiki is a mess, should be better (EH)
      - AL agrees
      - EH suggests moving some of the wiki content into "main" content
      (better formatting, easier discoverability?)
      - AL: we should be promoting certain pieces of content better
   - Going forward, no new features on OH-Mainline, but we should certainly
   fix bugs
   - AL needs to train others on deployment!
      - moving to Heroku?
      - Rackspace might donate a lot of hosting - BK

Reading over these notes, I'm betting there's the potential for a lot of
discussion about them. I think it's worth noting that nothing on this list
has been enacted, and for the moment (I think) these are strong suggestions
instead of hard commandments.

Thanks,
Philip

PJJ