[OH-Dev] Giving more people commit access

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon May 12 07:25:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

here's that "SCons" guy again. ;)

On 12.05.2014 02:24, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I thought about it more, and I concluded that we should give more
> people commit access to oh-mainline.

That's always a good idea. From what I can see as a simple observer,
you, Asheesh, are taking way too much on your own shoulders and don't
get enough sleep. You'll want to push the "bus factor" for your project
up a little...

> Here is my plan:
>
> * If at least one person in the Login Team vouches for you, and you
> have gotten
> at least two pull requests merged into oh-mainline (anything in
> oh-mainline, including docs), you will gain push access to the
> oh-mainline repo.

For the review-merge cycle, I'd like to say that we (SCons) are doing
this more on a time basis, than counting reviewers. After the pull
request, other devs can make comments for about a week (sometimes two).
So it's more like "if there are no objections" the merge will finally
happen.
Works fine so far, and since our switch from SVN to hg we have seen a
lot more pull requests. I also think that it's really important to make
contributing not too hard, we used to have very strict rules regarding
how to write tests, how to edit docs and whatnot.
If a merge goes wrong or the new functionality just doesn't work as
expected, it's in the history and can be fixed. So what?

Just my very personal 2 cents on this topic.

Best regards,

Dirk