[OH-Dev] Giving more people commit access

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Mon May 12 02:39:57 UTC 2014

Shauna,

I tend to be pretty conservative on pushing changes and believe that
clean, well written code is a goal that developers should strive toward.

Let's see how it goes with one reviewer. It has essentially been one
reviewer in the past plus Travis.

Code quality could improve with more committers since folks will likely
gravitate to pull requests that meet their knowledge strengths.

I also prefer striving for quality code and responsive actions on issues
and PRs over trying to prevent an error from getting pushed.
Realistically, errors get pushed even with the best review process. If
something merges and deploys that causes an issue, I think the
likelihood of resolving quickly and recovering is higher when there are
more people that understand the code base. I trust that people are
trying to do their best to submit quality code. As a safe place for
learning, I see us rallying as a team if there is a major code crisis of
some sort.

As for individual guidelines on pushing a larger pull request (say 7
files and/or greater than 500 lines changed), I guess a few strong
recommendations might be good:
1. Please find someone (other than yourself) to review and merge your
own Pull Request (unless there are extenuating circumstances ie site
vandalism, security issue,...)
2. Try to find someone to pair review or also review large changes
before merging

I will personally take the action item to do a monthly written update on
oh-mainline pull requests and send it to this mailing list.

Carol

Carol Willing
Developer
Willing Consulting