[OH-Dev] Giving more people commit access

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Mon May 12 00:24:41 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I thought about it more, and I concluded that we should give more people
commit access to oh-mainline.

Here is my plan:

* If at least one person in the Login Team vouches for you, and you have
gotten
at least two pull requests merged into oh-mainline (anything in
oh-mainline, including docs), you will gain push access to the oh-mainline
repo.

* Login Team is defined here:
http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/community/login_team.html

* I'll run a script every day <
https://github.com/openhatch/oh-pr-checker/blob/master/ok.py> to see if
I've fallen behind.

* I've given the following GitHub users push access:

*    Aaron1011
*    brittag
*    cpallares
*    eeshangarg
*    natea
*    onceuponatimeforever
*    pythonian4000
*    shaunagm
*    sunu
*    willingc

I also made a slight change to our branching -- there now exist
deployed_linode.openhatch.org and deployed_linode2.openhatch.org branches,
which point at the git repo on both those servers. That way, there is great
clarity about when someone merges some code, but it isn't yet deployed.

Only the Login Team people will be able to deploy things, for now.
Hopefully we can get that fixed shortly.

If you're in the list of people I've added here, welcome aboard! And if
you're not yet, hopefully you will be.

Given the much more decentralized access, I'm hoping that people will
mostly follow the following guidelines:

* Submit your changes as a pull request, and get someone to review them
before merging them. Don't push your own changes directly without review,
unless there is some super pressing reason.

* Review other people's pull requests, and merge them if you are happy with
them, and take good care of licensing. (The docs do talk about this
already.)

* If you are reviewing people's docs changes, then the quality of the
submission is not as important as for code changes.

Having more committers maybe means I will start getting more code review
for my own changes, which would benefit everyone.

That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else.