[OH-Dev] [issue989] Update oh-bugimporters install process and required dependencies

ehashman bugs at openhatch.org
Sun May 11 22:15:30 UTC 2014

New submission from ehashman <elana at hashman.ca>:

As a result of merging a number of documentation fix pull requests, adding my
own docs updates, and encountering some nasty installation issues for a student
trying to set up oh-bugimporters, Asheesh and I have agreed that there needs to
be an update to the install process and current dependencies included by
virtualenv. (See https://github.com/openhatch/oh-bugimporters/pull/53 for
comments and context.)

Looking at
http://oh-bugimporters.readthedocs.org/en/latest/intro.html#installation , we
now offer two ways to get the dependencies:

1. env/bin/python setup.py develop
2. env/bin/pip install -e .

Asheesh believes that the second method is superior, and we should remove the
first. We would also like to get rid of step 6:

env/bin/pip install -r devrequirements.txt

It could be wrapped into step 5 using pip, for instance, and we will no longer
have to treat the testing dependencies as optional, second-class citizens! On
the other hand, at minimum, it would be nice to add the devrequirements.txt to
the setup.py file if we continue to use that. This would help to streamline the
install process.

Asheesh to correct me if I transcribed any of this wrong/poorly.

messages: 4341
nosy: amagineer, ehashman, paulproteus
priority: feature
status: unread
title: Update oh-bugimporters install process and required dependencies