[OH-Dev] Ideas for new training missions

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 18:39:01 UTC 2014

All right!  Proposed process for creating missions:

1)  Pick a topic you want the mission to teach.  Scope should be relatively
small - the kind of thing you can go through in 10-20 minutes.  It should
be a technical topic (probably - feel free to debate me on this).

2)  Define the specific steps you want people to go through.  Be careful to
note where the steps are not linear -- for instance, in an IRC mission,
someone might be able to learn /me and /query in multiple orders.  Figure
out a linear order, perhaps getting feedback from others that it makes
sense.

3)  Create a "mock-up" of the mission by creating 3-6 (if longer, consult
the group!) screens. Make sure to specify what interactive elements are
involved.  Again, get feedback.

4)  Look at the description of how to add OpenHatch missions traditionally
() and at Oppia () to get a sense of which process works best for you.

5)  Make the mission!

(Obviously 5 can use a lot more elaboration, but am not sure how to spell
this out since I've never made a mission for either.  Perhaps those that
have can provide some guidance?)

Tarashish - I think Asheesh will be attending this sprint and can help get
your PR merged.

~ Shauna