[OH-Dev] Let's also put more social media on the homepage

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 19:59:41 UTC 2014

Our Twitter account (https://twitter.com/openhatch) is very helpful for
keeping in touch with fans and contributors, and it helps show the world
that we are alive/active and easy to get in contact with. It's our
most-followed form of social media, and likely the one with the most
potential to grow more.

It's also somewhat buried from the OpenHatch homepage, so new visitors can
easily miss that it exists. We could take advantage of Twitter better by
embedding a "most recent tweet" widget on the homepage, such as right below
the "most recent blog post" widget.

The easiest way to do this would be to use Twitter's built-in widget
feature, which embeds a bit of JavaScript that automatically displays the
right tweet. This would look fine (I've put the bit of JavaScript at the
bottom of my email, and I've attached a screenshot).

But using Twitter's widget wouldn't be great for respecting people's
privacy. See this article from May 2012 about Twitter's use of widgets for
tracking logged-in users across third-party websites (unless they opt-out):
http://www.zdnet.com/twitter-to-track-users-through-widgets-4010026235/

So, here are some options, in order of easiness:

1) Link to Twitter prominently (below the blog widget), without embedding
any tweets, at least for now.
2) Decide that using Twitter's official widget is easy and OK within our
values, at least for now.
3) Write some code that pulls in tweets and processes them for display,
which is probably ideal long-term, but would need to be prioritized among
other development efforts.

Britta

----

    <a style="font-weight: bold; line-height: 110%;" href="
https://twitter.com/openhatch">Latest tweet by @openhatch</a>
    <a class="twitter-timeline" data-dnt="true" href="
https://twitter.com/openhatch" data-widget-id="403681992614490112"
data-tweet-limit="1" data-link-color="#1BB5E0" data-chrome="nofooter
noheader transparent" data-border-color="#fff">Tweets by @openhatch</a>
    <script>!function(d,s,id){var
js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);
js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>