[OH-Dev] project-finder documentation/refactoring/redesign/improvement effort

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:53:59 UTC 2014

Hello all,

So as anyone who's been watching me collect issues in the project finder
milestone
<https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/milestones/Project%20Finder%20Update>
can probably tell, I think the project finder could really use some love.
I'd be thrilled if reviewing, redesigning, refactoring (and *documenting*)
the project finder and related parts of the site/django models could be a
community effort.

Is anyone on this list interested in participating in such a thing?  Anyone
interested in leading or co-leading it?

Some ideas I have w/r/t process/structure:

- I think there's a lot of implicit knowledge about how oh-mainline works
in the heads of a few people.  It would be great to, early on in this
process, have those people go through the codebase and explain as much of
it as they can.  This could be done in a one-to-many way, via something
like a google hangout, or a one-to-one way via pairing.  We could do
documentation updates as part of this process.

- It would be great to get some feedback from projects who use the finder
on what's working for them and what isn't.  We can then use that to guide
the redesign.  I feel comfortable with surveying methodology and could take
the lead on this aspect.  I'm also happy to pair with someone less
experienced with this kind of task, or to support someone more experienced.
 :)

- Once we know what we want to change, I am heartily in favor of sprints to
make the changes.  :D

Please let me know what you think!
best
Shauna