[OH-Dev] [issue897] improve user interface for openhatch.org/bugs

shauna bugs at openhatch.org
Wed Nov 6 01:19:21 UTC 2013

New submission from shauna <shaunagm at gmail.com>:

Some concrete suggestions:

* Reconsider the "group on" functionality.  What does it gain us that having the
ability to do a multi-level sort (sort by X then Y than Z) gets?  It's not an
intuitive interface.  If we decide to keep it, I suggest displaying the phrase
"Group By: X" with the variable being grouped by at the top with the other
column titles.  That will hopefully make it clearer to users.

* We should display keywords in the main tracker.  Right now the only way to
know what keywords exist (and therefore what you can search for) is to go the
search option in the sidebar (http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue?@template=search),
find the keyword dropdown (one of 17 options in the advanced search), and select
a keyword there.  Consequently, I don't think anyone except experienced users
searches by keyword.

* I think we should create a "How to use the issue tracker" docs page and
prominently link to it.  I also think we should create a "How to develop the
issue tracker" docs page (based off this:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Maintaining_the_OpenHatch_bug_tracker but that's
incomplete, and also confusingly on the wiki).  Currently at the bottom of the
lefthand sidebar there's a title "Help" with "Bug tracker docs" linking to
http://www.roundup-tracker.org/docs.html.  I suggest moving "Help" to the top of
the lefthand sidebar and putting links to the newly created readthedocs pages
for users and developers underneath.  The roundup website can be linked from the
developers readthedocs page.

* Browsing through the bugs, they frequently don't have enough information for
new contributors to address.  Is there a way to encourage people to provide more
thorough reports, perhaps by use of the status "need-example" (which could
perhaps be broadened to "need-info")?  Otherwise I will have to delete the "how
to write an awesome bug report" slide from the tools presentation in shame.  :(

files: bugreport.png
messages: 3930
nosy: paulproteus, shauna
priority: bug
status: unread
title: improve user interface for openhatch.org/bugs

Roundup issue tracker <bugs at openhatch.org>
<https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue897>