[OH-Dev] Events calendar: requesting change suggestions

Karen Rustad karen.rustad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:54:31 UTC 2011

> Things that would be nice to figure out a plan to:
>
> * How to embed event information on the project pages

Hmmm. It seems unlikely that there's any easy programmatic way to guess that
an event is associated with a particular project.

I wonder if, when entering an event, you could associate it with a project
(or multiple projects) as tags, auto-completing the field from the OpenHatch
project directory?

Then figuring what events to show on a project's page would be easy--just
get the ones tagged with that project's name/slug.

A slightly more intelligent version of this would compare a list of skill
tags associated with a project with a list of skill tags associated with an
event and send the event to the project's page if there's some sufficient
level of overlap. (So e.g. any Intro to Python event would show up on any
Python-based project.) I don't know if we have the data to make that
workable right now, though...

If we manage to get this going, and have a dedicated section on project
pages for events, it'd be nice to suck in a calendar feed for the project as
a whole as well--with all sorts of project events, not just the "good for
newcomers" ones.

-- Karen