[OH-Dev] [issue587] "Contact the prospective helpers" part of project page should work even if you are not logged in

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sun Sep 11 00:46:59 UTC 2011

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

As a follow-up to issue282 :

In http://openhatch.org/bugs/file389/iwh-handler.png as specified, the
"Prospective helpers" tab is in read-only mode if you are not a project
maintainer. Michael points out that makes it hard for people to drive by, help
out an open source project find a new contributor, and wander off.

He also points out that this job is similar to what you do when hanging out in
an IRC channel for a project, so a similar level of authentication is reasonable.

This ticket covers the following changes in addition to issue282 :

The conversation initiated by a user clicking the "I want to help" button is one
that all visitors to the site should be able to help resolve. Given that:

* If you aren't logged in, you can use the full UI, but when you make a change
in it, we show you a modal dialog that says, e.g., "Thanks for helping $NAME
find something to do in $PROJECT. Can you give us a name to leave on this page
so that the project maintainer knows who got in touch with the wannahelper?"

* If you are logged in, you can use the full UI, even if you're not a project
maintainer. (Maybe we should give you a modal dialog box thanking you, and then
ask if you want to receive "Maintainer updates" (AKA wannahelper mail) in the
future. Maybe we should also suggest that you add yourself as a contributor to
the project, now that you have contributed in some way!)

These are suggestions. I'm open to other thoughts! Again, these aren't
showstoppers for issue282 , so that can continue, but suggested further additions.

messages: 2489
nosy: aldeka, jessica, jesstess, mstone, paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: "Contact the prospective helpers" part of project page should work even if you are not logged in