[OH-Dev] Asheesh's front page suggested changes

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 14 20:17:50 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Parker's message of Fri Oct 14 13:56:18 -0400 2011:
> I really like Karen's version. It's very understandable and friendly at a
> glance.
>
> My one nit-picky bit of feedback is that it could use some stronger
> branding. If you swapped out the logo and the bird, you'd easily have
> another project's website. Maybe just a more bold choice for the color of
> the header and footer bars would help? I like that the grey is
> non-distracting, though.

I didn't add any stronger branding, but I improved a few things. I call it
"karen2" -- online here:
http://rose.makesad.us:8008/static/front-page-demos/karen2/landing.html

* Smaller recent activity
* More padding in that box
* Different labels for the boxes
* Renamed "volunteer opportunities" into "projects"
* Add a "Join and improve the project" box to the bottom-right
* Make the top nav a little bit less tall (by about 4px or so)

I'm kind of pretty happy with this. If people have suggestions about further
changes they want, I'd love to hear them!

Parker, w/r/t branding, I kind of do agree with you; I just don't know how to
change it. I don't like the idea of changing the grey since it's nice and non-
distracting, as you said.

One possible way to handle that is to use the OpenHatchy grey hatching pattern
instead of the grey. If someone wants to give that a shot, I'd be curious to
hear if it can work.