[Devel] Re-doing our dependency download system so it pulls most things in from linode.openhatch.org

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Mar 25 23:17:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> Poor Vivek is stuck on a buildout error:
> http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue344
>
> It's because of a bug in buildout + setuptools + sourceforge.net's HTTP
> server + other crazy nonsense.

The problem on that ticket is caused by setuptools (used by buildout to
download dependencies) -- when it tries to parse a HTTP response from
sourceforge.net, it explodes.

In general, we've had lots of trouble with sites hosting tarballs of
dependencies, or with the Python Package Index -- sometimes it links to
sites that are down, for example.

So what I'm planning is:

* Keep using buildout

* Reconfigure it to search http://linode.openhatch.org/~paulproteus/ for
tarballs, rather than searching the Python Package Index ("PyPI")

* If people need to add dependencies that are not there, you will have to
add explicit download URLs to setup.py so that the tool system can find
the tarball you need

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of this plan. I'm
putting it together now; in general I'm open to feedback on it!

Attached is a patch that shows you what I've done so far (locally). I'm
still working on it, but that shows you where I'm headed.

He was part of my dream, of course -- but then I was part of his dream too.
 		-- Lewis Carroll