[Devel] On removing people from the "I want to help!" list if they are already a contributor

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Feb 25 14:35:51 UTC 2011

We have a bug targeted for this milestone
<https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue304> for making it so that if you are a
contributor to a project, you can't get listed in the "I want to help!"
list of people.

I thought about this some, and I'm having some second thoughts about the
feature. Krzysztof, forgive me for bringing this up so late in the release
cycle and after you have already submitted patches (at
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue304 ).

Here are some early-morning, meandering thoughts:

* There are some contributors who probably do want to be told what to do
next. For example, if you usually write code but want to help out with
website stuff, then maybe you want to click "I want to help". But then on
the other hand, maybe you're part of the community enough now to be able
to just ask the people in it. But realistically that's not always true.

* One of the major causes of people+projects showing up on the front page
of openhatch.org is what appears to be project maintainers clicking "I
wanna help" and then causing the front page to mention their project. I'm
loathe to decrease visible activity on the front page!

On the other hand, just taking a sec to skim the feed, one other good way
to make your project appear on the front page is to write an answer to a
project page question. That seems like an okay way to get your project on
the feed, actually, so maybe it's okay if self-wanna-help doesn't put you
on the front page.

But I'm kind of confused. What do you all think?

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.