[OH-Dev] My Intro and Issue 505

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Wed Dec 14 15:26:02 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jacquie Flemming's message of Tue Dec 13 22:13:39 -0500 2011:
> Hello All-
>
> My name is Jacquie, and I'm looking to contribute to openhatch.
> I was re-reading the getting started page and it mentioned that the group
> would be
> happier if I introduced myself... so here I am :)
>
> I have created a profile on the openhatch site as well. I'll be using irc
> nick: jacquiesue
> (i attended a previous release meeting using something else, however)

Welcome, Jacquie!

> I'm new to python and django, but I am software engineer so not new to
> programming.
> (But new to web dev as well)
> I'm a c++/c programmer on linux/unix platforms. I will probably be on a
> Macbook however
> for openhatch. I have attended 2 python project nights, and will be
> attending more.

Cool. Again, welcome aboard, and I hope you have fun hacking on the OpenHatch
code!

> Now questions...
>
> 1.) I did a git clone on oh-mainline, and previously had the localhost
> running. Once I've done
> this, how do I keep in sync with the latest source code?

Git can be complicated if you're not used to it. The short answer: Run
these commands:

git fetch
git rebase origin/master

The "fetch" gets the latest version from us, but doesn't update your working copy.

The "rebase" synchronizes your current branch so that it's based on the latest
version.

The medium-length answer: Try http://openhatch.org/missions/git

> 2.) I'm looking into http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue505, and wanted to know
> how would I determine which files need to be updated? The example in the
> ticket mentions one
> example "
>
> ghello-0.4.tar.gz, but the hyperlink for the resource is actually to
> http://openhatch.org/missions/tar/downloadtarball. So if I wget the
> address I have to re-name the
> file.
>
> " But how do I find the others that need to fixed?

In general, you'll need to dive through the code starting with mysite/urls.py,
which is what controls which Python code gets called when.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/topics/http/urls/ explains this
in more depth.

Let us know if that covers your questions!