[Devel] Update on git mission!

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Apr 15 22:03:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Mark Freeman wrote:

> I don't have a publicly accessible repo, as I've been doing it all in a
> local branch from a pull from the main openhatch one. I probably should
> have just created a branch on gitorious and worked with it. I will next
> time.
>
> Here's a link to the plot progression (no sign in required):
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/16uZQWvvYWoWob2gjwCwqv24Wi9IRfllqCb5pw0oiu9c/edit?hl=en&authkey=CP2JvrIM

Here is some early feedback. Some of it is "plot"-related feedback, which
can maybe get touchy -- if you had an artistic angle you were pushing with
the choices you made, then totally explain that in a reply and we'll
figure out how to make sure your artistic vision shines through.

* On the first page, you wrote "the inded audience". Maybe "intended
audience"?

* Second page: You're asking people to read the code comments to find the
author of something, but that's confusing because "git log" and "git
annotate" (AKA "git blame") are the more common tools for finding the
author of some code. Maybe you could ask them to do something different,
like paste the output of the program?

Also, people have suggested we explain to people they need to "cd" into a
directory, or open a particular file with a text editor -- whatever you
ask people to do, it should only be unclear if that's what you want. We
can't necessarily assume much of the skill level of people running through
these missions.

* Third page: I would link to the diff/patch mission in the text, and also
have a paragraph like:

"Files created by git format-patch are like normal patch files,
but they also carry information about the git commit that created the
patch: the author, the date, and the commit log message are all there
at the top of the patch."

Also, you don't explain here how to "check your changes into your local
copy".

Also, if the person is an OS X user, we could suggest they creating the
patch with GitX, or with gitg in GNU/Linux-y systems.

Also, "open the patch file" in what?

* Dinner party:

That would be awesome.

http://asheesh.org/

Q:	How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:	One and a half.