[Devel] "The Caterpile" and more

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Mon Jan 4 02:57:21 UTC 2010

Daniel Morais suggested some radical text changes. For some reason, he wrote them in
Word.

I'm pasting them in here, in plain text, so it's easier to read them. At least, that's
what I tell myself.

You can look at the attached .doc instead if you want the right BOLD and /italics/ and
inline images!

Now, quoth Daniel:

[bad ideas subject to change]

What?

“You can take a butterfly out of the jungle…” (?)

[existing butterfly image from front page]

The open source community today is a large, productive group of people and projects that
get better every day.  (Well, maybe not the people.)  But the jungle of talent doesn’t
have one good way to connect to the web of potential projects.  It’s a story of a few
massive successes and a lot of missed opportunities.

When the players all fall into place, they can turn a small project with limited
resources into a success story that’s shared by many passionate contributors – the
butterflies of our jungle.  OpenHatch is the engine to power this community and to drive
that kind of synergy.  It’s an involvement engine, and you are the fuel.

What sets OpenHatch apart is that it was conceived for people first and projects second.
It enables developers to demonstrate and grow their experience and expertise in the open
source community and connects businesses with the code gurus who helped write the
software they use to fix their problems or recruit ideal job candidates.

Why?

“”

Our vision is to make the open source community better connected, more productive, and
well rewarded for its expertise. By gathering the most brilliant, passionate minds in
software development in one place and helping them collaborate with one another for love
and for pay, OpenHatch facilitates cross-pollination among open source projects and
accelerates open source software development and adoption.

A butterfly’s life starts when it hatches from its egg as a caterpillar that will morph
into an adult in time.  The lifecycle of software starts when people come together to
turn an idea into a reality, and we’re here to help those people give it wings.

How?

“Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as…”

[these become top-level links on the site hierarchy]

Caterpile [was: “Volunteer Opportunities”]
Every software project starts with ideas, and every software project has bugs.  OpenHatch
does the hard work of sifting through these baby opportunities to match you with the ones
that are right for you.  The result is called the caterpile, and as you sift through it,
you’ll unlock the potential in each one.

Nest [was: “Portfolio”]
When you’re working on a project, you’ll see it in your nest.  Your nest is your
portfolio, your profile, your presence on OpenHatch.  Our system will help you populate
yours with past accomplishments and help connect you with people who want to work with
you – maybe even some people who want to pay you money for it!

Swarm [was: “People”]
The swarm is the community we’re here to power.  Come here to meet other contributors,
and check out their nests to see what they’ve done before and what they’re working on
today.  You might even find a mentor, a contributor to your project, or a person with the
experience your company has been looking for.

Feed [home page]
Come here for the latest news about OpenHatch and the community – and for a glimpse into
the latest in your caterpile, nest, and swarm activity.  Indeed, it’s delicious.

OpenHatch
            …and fly.