[Ccsf-campus-staff] Merge Request for Website

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Wed Aug 27 15:37:41 UTC 2014

I've just finished update the registration forms, so please check them out:

    + Student registration form -- just added a 'Self-select' question, so
particularly check that out
        > Mentor registration form & Mentor Assistant registration form
*should* be identical
            -- These forms are brand new, so really look them over,
especially:
                ~ Planned Flow of Day section -- particularly looking for a
better phrase than 'beginner newbie'

As for the website:

    + first it looks AWESOME!  Well done Tyler & the UC Davis students who
created the original
    + my last name has no 'a' as I mentioned last night -- change the 'a'
to an 'o'
    + add link to Laptop Setup --
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/CCSF/Laptop_setup --
so students can get started on their own
    + I suggest making the language of the Laptop Setup stronger --
everyone who arrives on 9/13 without their laptop setup will be a burden on
you & the WiFi that everyone is using

Orig:  Get help setting up your laptop to be ready to contribute on
September 13th. This will also be a chance to get to speak with others who
will be attending the event. If you are unable to attend, please contact
Tyler at tbrother at mail.ccsf.edu
Edit:  Come set up your laptop so everyone will be ready first thing on
September 13th.  If you are unable to attend, please contact Tyler at
tbrother at mail.ccsf.edu

    + I recommend changing the language which suggests to those who are
"ready to contribute" that they can 1:1 pair with mentors

[ What if I can code, and want to contribute? ]
Orig:  Then you can skip the workshops and sit with one of the mentors who
will be ready to get you bug fixing right away.
Edit:  Then you can skip the workshops and jump right in to the
contribution section of the day
[ 'sit with one of the mentors' is the problem here -- it suggests that
they will each get one mentor to stay with them.  There won't be enough
mentors on hand. Mentors will be there to help students get started & be
available to help get them unstuck, and overall will be popping back &
forth from student to student.]

[ Morning / Contribution Workshop ]
Orig:  This workshop is for students who feel they are ready to begin
learning to contribute to an open source project of their choice. Since
many students will be in the other set of workshops, you will have more
time with the mentors. Pair with a mentor of your choice and begin
contributing!
Edit:  This workshop is for students who feel they are ready to jump right
in.
[I especially think suggesting that they will have more time with mentors &
could "pair" will set up unachievable expections.  Once the 'learning to
contribute" students join the contribution workshop, there *really* won't
be enough mentors for 1:1 pairing.]

Beyond that looks awesome to me.
Let me know how to edit questionnaires & then can probably start
publicizing website on Thursday.

Katherine