[Ccsf-campus-staff] Meetup to discuss Website and curriculum

Tyler B tylerbrothers1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 02:43:19 UTC 2014

Saturday at 8pm?

I really like the level's idea as it allows people to meet people (smaller
groups), learn together, and get better advice from mentors. I do want to
be cautious about making sure no one feels "dumb" for being in the newbie
group though, so thats something to keep in mind.

Install fest and instructions online for those who cant attend the meeting
is a must. As we iron out exactly what we want to teach, we can setup
instructions online on how to get setup. Maybe we can coordinate with
mentors on this.

In addition to having the groups being based on familiarity with tools, I
would like to see an opening presentation that touches on what open source
is about and why it matters. The presentation could touch on different
faucets of open source as well - legal aspects, open source vs. closed
source, social impact, history of open source and why the tools are
important to making open source contribution easy. The presentation would
give something to everyone and serve as a nice framework for newbies, so
they dont feel so lost and "why?".

Did our previous schedule have any hiccups? (pasted here for convenience -
from http://ccsf.openhatch.org/)

9:00am-9:30am:Coffee, juice, pastries, and getting to know each other
> 9:30am-10:00am:irc session
> 10:00am-11:00am:Communication Tools session
> 11:00am-12:00pm:Career panel
> 12:00pm-1:00pm:Lunch
> 1:00pm-2:00pm:git/GitHub session
> 2:00pm-6:00pm:Contributions demo/workshop

I know it had a totally different structure then what were talking about
here, but were there any obvious issues with the how long speeches were or
anything?

Sincerely,

Tyler Brothers

Phone: 925-998-9956