[Ccsf-campus-staff] Moving forward with CCSF Workshop

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri May 17 05:43:37 UTC 2013

Hi! I thought I'd move planning to this mailing list, so we have archives.

Also, sorry that I've been hard to reach lately; I'm committed to being
more available.

I wanted to share our usual event planning strategy, and then figure out
where we are on it, and then adjust the plan as needed and push forward on
it so we can have a great workshop.

Contact phase

* Get local contacts' names (insist on two)
* Get commitment from them

Logistics phase

(Begins 4 weeks pre-workshop)

* Identify funding possibilities
* Identify core staff
* Nail down date
* Send a save-the-date email to CS department students
* Commit to contacts that we want to do the workshop

Pre-event phase

(Begins 3 weeks pre-workshop)

* Recruit more staff
* Recruit career panelists
* Make website with signup survey
* (2.5 weeks before) Prepare list of hand-picked bugs for projects time
* (2.5 weeks before) Do diversity-oriented publicity
* (2 weeks before) Do general publicity
* Choose attendees
* Confirm with attendees
* (9 days before) Review staff list and make sure it is large enough and
otherwise appropriate for attendees
* (5 days before) Review hand-picked bug list and make sure it is large
enough and otherwise appropriate for attendees

Event phase

(3ish days before)

* Visit space pre-event
* Order food
* Ensure event is photographed

Post-event phase

* Blog post on openhatch.org
* Expense report
* Send post-event survey to attendees
* Send thank-you notes to campus orgs that helped

That is so much text that I will put it on a wiki page and we can edit it
there. One sec...

...okay! Visit
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/CCSF/Plan

Okay! So, some quick questions to get the ball rolling:

* Tell me more about the publicity you already did! Can you send a copy to
this list, if it was by email? Typically we like to put up a website like
e.g. http://wellesley.openhatch.org/ and have some control over signups,
on a Google Docs form+spreadsheet that we can happily share with you.

* Is there a second CCSF contact who's interested in being a co-organizer?
It'd be great for them to be also on this staff mailing list, and then if
you happen to fall ill or have to step away due to other commitments,
there's another local person who can pick up where you'd need to leave
off.

I will start a separate thread about the schedule. Perhaps tomorrow.
Let's start with the above!

-- Asheesh.