[Ccsf-campus-staff] Career panel plan

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Jun 29 05:41:54 UTC 2013

One thing we do for half an hour before lunch is have a bit of Q&A between
one of the event's organizers and a few of the staffers to provide a sense
of how open source activity integrates into their careers.

To do that, Katherine (if she is willing) will ask the questions listed
toward the end of this email.

I'd love if the following staffers are willing to be on that panel:

* Larissa Shapiro

* Mark Holmquist

* Judy Tuan

* Mark Smith, if you are able to make it (last minute potential staffer)

Katherine, use this to guide your career paneling. (Quoted from
https://openhatch.org/wiki/OSCTC_Resources#Career_Panel )

8----< CUT HERE >-----8

We aim for four panelists representing a diversity of open-source jobs.

For example, past panelists have included people who work for Red Hat
BoCoup Loft the Sunlight Foundation and the Personal Genome Project, as
well as freelancers.

We start off by asking each person to introduce themselves, their current
occupation, and their current employer and to talk very briefly about how
that work relates to open source.

Then - questions! Frequent questions include:

* How did you first hear about/get involved in open source?

* What advice would you have for if students should participate in open
source things in college? Are there particular things that do or don't
matter, as things to focus on? (For example, "Definitely start your own
open source project rather than contribute to existing ones" or "Don't
waste time talking to people on IRC".)

* Do you have advice on what to do when approaching a project for the first
time? Either in terms of code, or in terms of community.

We typically do the career panel just before lunch so that attendees can
socialize with panelists immediately afterwards.