[Ccsf-campus-staff] Logistics

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Jun 17 06:27:13 UTC 2013

Quoting Katherine Moloney (2013-05-21 16:31:51)
> Starting the Logistics thread:
>
> We've got a good space...
>
>   • good WiFi -- campus IT is going to place additional Meraki hotspots based
>     on the projected number of participants/presenters
>   • lots of wall-sockets -- 6 single-gang wall sockets, plus 2 double-gang wall
>     sockets (20 total plug sockets) in the room -- so will just have to bring
>     some power strips
>   • seating for 70-90 based on the tables and chairs available in the room and
>     its storage closet
>   • projector with VGA input -- so will just have to bring the necessary
>     adapters for presenter laptops
>
> Campus IT staff is going to set up individual guest accounts for the presenters
> & have the students use their own CCSF Wireless accounts.  I have to look into
> the lead time necessary to set up the guest accounts.
>
> Also, I wonder if there are any installation packages we should have on USB
> flash drives, to save everyone attempting to down the same thing from the same
> site.  Again, hoping to get all the participants to do as much pre-installation
> as possible.  (As a sidenote, we're setting up a weekly Android hack session
> this summer, so potentially we can use those sessions to do some
> pre-installation together.  The day/time(s) for that should be set in the next
> week or so.)
>
> Katherine

This all sounds great. I am not worried about installation being slow; in general,
we have found college wifi networks to be plenty fast for the minimal requirements
of these events.

You can see a sample past laptop setup guide here:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/UMD/Laptop_setup

Given that, I wouldn't worry about USB keys. But we should do a speed test of the
venue to make sure.

One thing about laptop setup is that if you ask people to go through it, then on
one hand, it's great, but if it's not mandatory, now you have maybe even more
bifurcation on the question of how long things take.

On the other hand, actually, I think we've fiddled with the way we do lectures
and the like so that this isn't a problem.

So we should write you up a CCSF-specific Laptop Setup Guide, and have you ask
students to go through that in advance. It will likely have a brief command
line tutorial, and I can probably stop by and optionally try to bring some
other staffers to help make that go smoothly.

-- Asheesh.