[Ccsf-campus-staff] Diversity

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Jun 17 06:15:38 UTC 2013

Quoting Katherine Moloney (2013-06-11 22:54:28)
> Right now, we have 30-some registered.  By next week, we should have the bump
> from the summer school registration, planning to request everyone who wants to
> register by next Thursday 6/20, and then I was planning to open the workshop up
> to the PyLadiesSF (http://www.meetup.com/PyLadiesSF) and the Women Who Code SF
> (http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Code-SF) groups to round out the attendance.
>
> However, I want to get a sense of how many max you would like to see in this
> workshop.  What facilitator/attendee ratio do you want?

I think that having any more than 30-40 committed attendees will be more intense
than I think we can handle. We see a 50-80% rate of people who signed up to these
things generally showing up. I'm excited about inviting other people, such as the
PyLadies group. I think I'd prefer to keep it focused on students first, if we
can, perhaps also using women in CS groups in CCSF and SFSU and other places around
here as sources. (Berkeley, too, perhaps?) But I could see the value in getting
other non-students to attend as well.

I need to get more facilitators (I usually call them the generic term "staffers")
on board. I'm on that now. We aim for a ratio of 6:1 max, and lower is always
better.

-- Asheesh.