[Campus-uw-staff] introductions & beginning to plan

Benj. Mako Hill makohill at uw.edu
Thu Sep 18 18:29:18 UTC 2014

<quote who="Shauna Gordon-McKeon" date="Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 02:37:57PM -0400">
> Have we successfully moved the event to Sunday and booked the rooms?

The facilities people (still) have not confirmed. I just sent them an
email to remind them. As before, there's nothing on the calendar so I
think this will not be a problem.

> A few other questions:
>
> - How are we doing for funding?  Red Hat may be interested in sponsoring
> the event, which would mostly involve putting them on the website, and
> having a Red Hatter or two mentoring at the event and on the career panel.
>  I haven't 100% confirmed with them that they want to do this, but they
> very probably do.
>
> - The event isn't for a while yet, but there are a lot of potential
> projects and mentors.  For instance, I talked to someone at OpenMRS today
> who is going to ask some UW-area core contributors if they want to mentor
> at the event.  It might be worth getting the publicity website (<
> https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Logistics/Publicity_Website>)
> up early so we can connect to mentors and attendees ahead of time, and
> allow them to start collaborating before the event.  This requires more
> work than just introducing everyone the day of, but is often worth the
> effort.  Let me know what you think.

I can possibly help with this stuff but I cannot commit to leading it.
I'm teaching undergraduates for the first time this quarter and have a
bunch of travel planned so I want to be realistic about what I can
commit to.

I'm a little worried that until yesterday (Hi Ana! Thank you so much
for chiming in!) the only email to the list has been from Shauna (who
will not be here) and myself. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
http://mako.cc/academic/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto