[Campus-uw-staff] odds and ends for open source event on Sunday

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 20:03:18 UTC 2014

Odds and ends for the organizers:

#1 - What’s the guest wifi situation?  Will the mentors coming in from off
campus need to do anything special to get online?

#2 - Photography: will there be anyone able to take a few photographs of
the event?  In the worst case scenario, snapping a few cell phone photos
would be great.  We put a summary of each event up on campus.openhatch.org
and we need at least one picture to accompany it.  :)

#3 - Sticky notes: We use the sticky note method for keeping track of who
gets stuck.  You can read more about it here: <
http://software-carpentry.org/workshops/operations.html#feedback>.  Can you
make sure to pick these up before the event?  The sticky notes can also be
used for feedback.  If you can ask students to write one thing they liked
about the event and one thing that could be improved, as they leave, that’s
a easy way for us to learn about what works and what doesn’t.

#4 - Because we’re running 5 events on Saturday, #openhatch will get pretty
crowded.  We strongly, strongly recommend introducing students to two
channels - #openhatch, so they can interact with the larger community, and
#openhatch-washington (a temporary channel) so that they don’t get lost in
the noise.  We’ll be keeping track of irc channels here:

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/openhatch-irc-channels

#5 - Contact info: my phone # is 240-483-3555 in case that’s somehow
useful.  Feel free to call or text on the day of if you need to - I’ll also
be around via email and on Freenode as “shauna”.  Ben, Allan, and/or Ana,
can you send me phone #s as well?  I probably won’t need them, but they’re
good just in case.

best
Shauna