[Campus-uofa-staff] Post-event tasks

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:18:27 UTC 2014

Some follow up questions, if you don't mind (whenever you get the chance):

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Kate Maroney <katemaroney at email.arizona.edu
> wrote:

> - How did you feel about the materials and resources we provided?  Were
> they too little, or too much?  Was there anything especially helpful or
> especially unhelpful?  This includes publicity materials, logistical
> checklists, templates, etc in addition to curriculum guides and the
> curriculum itself.
>
> *From feedback from our instructors, the Git activity was a little bit
> more difficult to organize for large groups of students, and more difficult
> to follow along with. I thought the activity structure was great, the
> laptop setup was especially helpful, but I wish we had had a bit more
> structure when it came to the Open Source projects section.*

How many people ended up being in each group for the Git activity?  We've
gone back and forth on the instructor:student ratio for this activity, so
knowing how many "too many students" is would be super helpful.

In terms of structure for the projects section, can you talk a bit about
how that went?  (How did students get matched with instructors?  What did
the instructors work with them on?)  That was the part of the day that was
most opaque to me - I hadn't had a chance to talk to the mentors much ahead
of time, so I don't really have a sense of what they ended up doing.

> - In planning and running the event, did you do anything differently from
> what we recommended?  How did that turn out?  If you've improved our event,
> we'd love to merge those changes back.  :)
>
> *I think we handled the Git activity a little bit in that we gave it more
> time than the original schedule had allotted for. Because most of our
> attendees were unfamiliar with the tool, we needed more time to go through
> it slowly. *
>
> *The other thing that we handled differently was our timeline for
> advertising. From experiences we've had in the past, we know that we'll get
> a better response if we delay advertising until a few days before the
> event, so we held off until then. *

I'm glad that you were able to adjust the event to suit your attendees'
needs!

> - Did the event planning process, and the event itself, turn out as you
> imagined it would when you first agreed to help organize?  If not, please
> talk a bit about where the reality differed from your expectations.
>
> *In terms of planning the activity, we were not at all prepared for the
> number of students who signed up. We had a lot of students who signed up
> last minute, and had to scramble to find a new room and funding for food
> for all of them.*

How many people ended up attending?  Did you count them at all?

I hope securing a new room and resources wasn't too stressful.

> *I would love to run another event, and students have asked me if this
> will be running again. Unfortunately, I'm graduating*

Glad to hear it.  We'll do our best to make sure another event runs at
UofA, and feel free to send students interested in organizing an event our
way.

best
Shauna