[Campus-uconn-staff] Confirmed mentors for Open Source comes to Campus event.

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu
Sun Oct 12 13:19:16 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Anna and Srikanth, thank you for signing up to help at our
Open Source come to campus event!

Since scheduling a mentor meeting time has been tricky, it's probably
easiest to plan everything with the etherpad, as Sean suggested
earlier, and ask your questions over this e-mail thread:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/cjIeTmZVpeAT

1) The first thing you should read is the mentor guide, which is the
first hyperlink in the etherpad above.

2) Now that you've been walked through the event, open the curriculum
overview page (https://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/index.html)
and quickly read the topics in the bullet points below; topics have
been grouped together to match the schedule on the publicity website
(http://uconn.openhatch.org):
- Laptop Setup
- What is Open Source, Communication Tools, Communication Norms (i.e.
Introduction to Free Software Tools on the schedule)
- History and Ethics of Free Software (this is the backup to not
having the Career Panel)
- What is Version Control, Git Activity (i.e. Hands on Git)
- Bug Comprehension, Merge Stories, Finding a project, Newcomer Tasks
(i.e. Contribution Workshop)
You will see that there are "self-guided" versions of all activities
and some that are presenter lead.  This means the students read the
material on their own and and work at their pace.  Currently we have
56 attendees signed up, and with ~5 of us mentors, we will likely need
to run the event in the "self-guided" manner as we don't have the 1:5
mentor:attendee ratio for a more close guided workshop experience.
Before each activity, ask those who are familiar with the topic and
then have those attendees move and sit at tables to help others.

3) Quickly read the commentary for each section on the wiki:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum
The handouts mentioned are here:
https://github.com/openhatch/open-source-comes-to-campus/tree/master/curriculum/handouts

4) Now please tell indicate in the etherpad which sections you are
comfortable helping with.  Write your name under the sections where it
says "[assigned to]" for one or more topics in the SCHEDULE of the
etherpad.  Note we also need a logistical person.  To start with I
would have signed my name to a couple of things, but unfortunately I'm
currently stuck in India waiting on my student VISA and unless I get
it tomorrow (Monday) I won't be able to make it.  So I really need all
your help to run this event!  If you can indicate your where all you
can volunteer by end of Tuesday, October 14, that would be wonderful.

As an aside, this poll below is how the attendees indicated this as
their knowledge level, so there is a lot of impact we can make at this
workshop!
   55% the command line
   18% version control
   21% git