[Campus-princeton-staff] Information for mentors (please read!)

Katherine Ye kye at princeton.edu
Fri Nov 22 06:34:02 UTC 2013

Hello mentors,

Thank you again for helping us out with the event on 11/24!  This email is
to help give you a sense of what to expect.

The event will run from 10:00am to 5:00pm, with a schedule that looks
roughly like this:

[9:00 - 9:30 Main organizers arrive at the space

10:00 - 10:30   Coffee & pastries appear, students begin arriving

10:30 - 11:00 Laptop setup & introductions

11:00 - 12:00 Open source communications tools (IRC, mailing lists, issue
trackers, version control)

12:00 - 1:00 Practicing git

1:00 - 1:45 Lunch

1:45 - 2:15 Career panel

2:15 - 5:00 Projects time, with wrap-up at 4:45]

You can find detailed descriptions of each event at
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Princeton_schedule.

If possible, we'd like you to arrive by 9:30.  It’s okay if you can’t make
it that early, but please let me know when to expect you.

Basically, as a mentor, you'll be expected to help with activities by
attempting to troubleshoot problems that come up, answering whatever
questions you can, and just generally being friendly and chatting to
students.  On a given day, you might find a mentor helping a student figure
out what dependencies need to be installed for a project to work, showing a
student command line tricks, give advice about applying to summer
internships, or giving book recommendations about being women in tech.
 It’s okay if you can’t do all of the above!  If you’re stuck when helping
a student with something, feel free to call another mentor over.

So that’s generally how you can help.  Here are some specifics:

   -

   Practicing Git mentors:  Practicing Git is a hands-on exercise we have
   students do in small groups, led by a mentor who feels comfortable with
   git/github.  The project consists of taking a website and editing it
   according to a set of issues listed in the project’s bug
tracker<https://github.com/morris-2/morris-2.github.io/issues?state=closed>.
    Before the event we will create some toy
organizations<https://github.com/morris-2>with the project
   repository <https://github.com/morris-2/morris-2.github.io> and give you
   administrative access, so you can walk students through the process of
   improving the webpage and seeing their changes
made<http://morris-2.github.io/>.
    (Those links are all to an example from a recent event.)  You can see the
   outline of the project here, in the student handout
(wiki-version)<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Practicing_Git/Students>.
    There’s also a guide for
mentors.<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Practicing_Git/Instructors>
If this sounds like something you could lead, let us know!
   -

   Project leads:  We find students have an especially good time when
   they’re working with mentors who already contribute to (or even maintain) a
   project.  So we need people to be "project leads" during projects time. Let
   us know if there are any projects that you feel especially comfortable
   with, where you can help attendees:

  - set up the development environment

  - navigate through the source code

- walk people through the patch-submission process

  - answer questions about the purpose of the project and how the community
works

You don’t have to be expert at all of those things, but you should be
fairly comfortable with most.  These can include small personal projects,
where you're the only person who've ever worked on them, or large projects
where you're a member of a community - as long as you understand the
project well.  Don't be shy - we're looking to add as many as we can get.

   -

   We need people who have ever been funded to work on open source software
   to be on our career panel.  We will likely include some remote panelists,
   but we’re hoping to get as many in-person people as we can get.

In sum: please arrive by 9:45 on 11/24 and let me know if you’ll be late.
 My phone # is 732--599-4732 - please send me yours so I can call or text
you if there are any last minute issues (though we don’t expect there to
be).  And let us know if you're up for leading a "Practicing Git" group,
being a project lead, or being on our career panel.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Katherine