[Campus-portland-staff] Room request information

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 21 23:51:00 UTC 2013

Hi Bart (and all),

I thought I'd quickly summarize the event we're putting on, with your
support, and see what space is available. Again, I work for a non-profit
called OpenHatch that helps people get involved in open source.

The event is a one-day workshop in how to get involved in open source,
with an emphasis on contributing to existing projects. We're aiming for
20-30 students, and would be happy if non-Portland State students attend
as well. General info site: http://campus.openhatch.org/

The first half of the day is more traditional teaching -- lecture and
discussion, with some hands-on exercises to cement the learning. In that
part, we cover:

* The basics of version control

* How open source projects communicate, including an overview of mailing
lists, bug trackers, and IRC

* A very brief history of open source and free software, and a career
panel where students get to hear from local companies who actively
contribute to code projects that are free and open source

The second half the day is even more participatory -- the goal is to help
every attendee contribute a patch to a real open source project so they
get the feel that open source includes everyone, especially themslves.

You mentioned a room ("8601" is what I heard) that might be a good fit;
can you check if it's available for Sat, March 9? If not, is there a
different room that would work well for that number of people?

I imagine, in terms of seating layout, for the first half of the day we'll
have people mostly paying attention to lectures, and for the second half
people will likely work together ontheir laptops. (They'll have laptops
either way, but in the second half, they're likely to want to spread out
around the room.)

Let me know what works! If you can CC: this list on follow-up
conversations, or forwardings-along to other CS-y people, that'd be very
helpful.

http://pdx.openhatch.org/ is the event website for this event, but I aim
to make some changes to it shortly to make it somewhat flashier. (-:

Thanks,

-- Asheesh.