[Campus-neiu-staff] firm schedule for next Saturday

Iacobelli, Francisco f-iacobelli at neiu.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:20:00 UTC 2014

Hi, So I spoke to Jim Thompson (Teaches Open Source here) and he will be
there coordinating from the beginning. Jeremy can also be a contact point
for anything organization-wise.

I will take over the coordination part at 11am (I can't come earlier).

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon
<shaunagm at gmail.com>wrote:

> There is a local organizer who will "run" the event in terms of making
> sure things stay on schedule, introducing each part of the day, etc.
>  Mentors are thoroughly involved in activities.  If there are not enough
> mentors for an activity (for instance, if not enough people feel
> comfortable leading the git activity or there is no one willing to present
> the open source communications tools) students can do self-guided versions
> of the activities and mentors can "float" and help.
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM, meg ford <meg387 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What are mentors responsible for at these events, Shauna? Are we
>> responsible for running the actual event or just teaching/mentoring?
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <
>> shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What is our schedule for next Saturday?  This is especially useful info
>>> to pass along to volunteer mentors.
>>>
>>> Default schedule would be:
>>>
>>> 9:30-10:00 setup
>>> 10:00-10:15 intros
>>> 10:15-11 what is open source / open source communication tools
>>> 11-12 practicing git
>>> 12-12:30 career panel
>>> 12:30-1:30 lunch
>>> 1:30-2:00 intro to the contribution workshop
>>> 2:00-5:00 rest of the contribution workshop
>>>
>>> But it is quite flexible.

Francisco Iacobelli, Assistant Professor

Department of Computer Science
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625
Phone: (773) 442 4728
f-iacobelli at neiu.edu
http://fid.cl

www.neiu.edu