[Campus-morris-staff] bringing Open Source Comes to Campus back to Morris

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 06:15:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Elena Machkasova <elenam at morris.umn.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Shauna,
>
> looking at the links, I am not entirely sure about a couple of things:
> 1. The curriculum seems to be one day, why is the workshop listed for the
> entire weekend? Is there more to it? (I'd like to reserve the room at this
> point, so it would be useful to know)

We'll be running multiple events simultaneously over both weekend days, but
each event will be only a day long, so pick whichever single day suits you
best.  Thanks for pointing out that that's confusing!  I will make sure to
follow up with the other people I contacted and clarify.

> 2. On a related note, would you guys be doing some sort of skype/google
> hangout presentations? This may also affect our room needs.

We can but do not need to.  The most common use of hangouts is to do a
remote career panel when there are not enough local mentors.  You can
decide if you would like to do a remote career panel -- it's up to you.

(We're hoping to make a career panel activity in the form of a series of
videos but that's very much on the backburner and probably won't be ready
for this fall's events.)

> 3. What exactly does it mean that we are "signed up" for that weekend?

I'm limiting the total number of events that can run on a given weekend for
my own sanity, as I'll be helping to plan all of the events.  At some point
I will say "no more" to events who want to run on that weekend (if there's
that much interest!) but I will definitely be able to support your event.

> Many thanks!

You are most welcome.  :)