[Campus-hartnell-staff] schedule/curriculum/responsibilities

Katie Cunningham kcunningham at csumb.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:15:53 UTC 2014

> Taking pictures -- who wants to take pictures? I can bring a nice
> camera, if that interests you! I have a nice camera but I often forget
> to use it.

Perhaps Chris can take pictures? It would be excellent to have some
pictures with a nice camera! The ones with my phone from last time didn't
turn out as nicely as I would have liked.

> For laptop setup, I believe we all ought to be willing to be "floating
> mentors" for that. I've added myself to that list.

Agreed! FYI, most students will be working from an Ubuntu image. Many but
not quite all will have gone through some of the bit.ly.laptop-setup
instructions

> For "Open Source Communication Tools", Noah -- can I interest you in
> being the lead teacher for this? If no one else volunteers, I can do
> this. Noah, I am happy to show you the lecture materials we have and
> train you on that.
>
> For "Early start on contributions", I think Chas would have fun with
> this. I would also be very happy to help with this. Chas, what do you
> think? Katie, do you think it might be possible to do that in a
> different room nearby so that they can be as talkative as needed
> without disrupting the others?

Yes, I have a few extra rooms reserved for break-aways. One room seats ~7
and another seats ~25. The rooms are a couple minutes' walk away.

The students who attended last semester are pretty excited to see the same
mentors from before :) Working with Chas and/or Asheesh would be great for
this part.

> For "Career Panel", I recommend we do the "Career 'Musical Chairs'"
> strategy at
> https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Career_Panel
> , which is to say, someone will be needed to introduce the activity
> and make sure that we rotate every N (suggested N=15) minutes, but
> after that it's up to the mentors to get into small groups and have
> good conversations. Historically I find this is super fun for
> everyone. I nominate Emily Lovell and Noah Swartz and Chas and me
> especially, but also anyone else who wants to do this should speak up.
> It's lots of fun to talk with students in small groups. (If you're a
> mentor, and you're not participating as a career panelist, you might
> enjoy pretending to be a student, and participating in the
> conversations that way!)

This sounds fantastic, and I really like how everyone will get to meet
everyone.

> For Lunch, I like your idea generally Katie, I would just be concerned
> that the students left behind will feel like they are left behind! If
> you think that's not a big deal, then I especially like your idea. I'm
> happy to be placed wherever.

I understand your concern. I think the students who are "left behind" will
understand that their time will come in the future and that the benefit is
greater to the older students now.

> For Git:
>
> - "Introduce activity/assign groups" -- I nominate China Wang. China,
> I imagine that you will be able to bring yourself up to speed by
> reading through through the "Current Version" section of
> https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Git
> and then understand how it works. I'm also extremely happy to come
> find you in SF and make sure you understand how this works. I'd be
> extraordinarily happy if I can get you to "own" this section of the
> curriculum, which I am sure is possible given about an hour of your
> time to become familiar with it, and doing Q&A with me. Maybe you can
> visit Eventbrite (155 5th St) on Thursday for a long lunch (12-1:30
> PM) and we can nail this down? (Or I could head to Thoughtworks or
> nearby.) I think you'd appreciate the way we're doing git teaching
> now.

I am excited about China doing this!

> - Note about this: Katie, we should have groups no bigger than 8
> students, preferably 5-6. How many students should we expect? And
> then, how many groups should we have?

I am expecting right around 40 students, so the groups may get big...  I
think we will have a very high turnout rate from the people who have signed
up (41), and a couple more people may come who have not signed up.

So we could do 5 groups of 8 or 6 groups of 6-7. Looks like we should aim
for 6 groups instead of the original 5.

> - Advanced git: I imagine Chas and/or China and/or Ryan and/or I could
> take this.
>
> - Git with prior command line experience: Noah and/or I can likely
> volunteer for this. The rest of us probably can, too.
>
> - Git with very little prior command line experience: The rest of the
> rest of us basically surely can handle this!

I will add another group to the responsibilities doc so the groups are like
this and we have 6 groups

   - Advanced:
   - Prior experience:
   - Prior experience:
   - Beginner:
   - Beginner:
   - Beginner:

Go ahead and sign up :) If mentors don't choose, I'm happy to assign.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cbgd5T0ebMPOPjuIUbTrxdK3yI-2a35lXtGoxF04c2A/edit?usp=sharing

-Katie