[Campus-hartnell-staff] Focus of event / workshop details

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 19:21:35 UTC 2014

> Morning
>
>    - *Setup* - should be quick, because I'll have worked with students on
>       getting things installed beforehand.
>       - *Basics of open source, less emphasis on code, more emphasis on
>       concepts*
>          -
> *Intro to Open Source / Communications Tools, more in-depth *
>          -  More advanced students will likely be happy to sit through a
>          review on these topics, especially if we emphasize “*how it all
>          fits together*”. But the option of having advanced students
>          start on contributions during this time could also be good.

It sounds like we'd have at most 15 students and probably more like 5-10
students interested in jumping right in.  So perhaps having one mentor
assigned to help those students get started would be enough.  Asheesh might
be a good choice for this, if he's not needed for the other morning
presentations.

>    - Lunch --* I propose something different than regular OSCTC events*
>    - *Networking session with mentors and older students seeking
>       internships*
>          - We'd like to maximize the networking time of our students who
>          are seeking internships for this summer. If possible, we'd like these
>          students to sit down to lunch with our mentors to talk more one on one.

This is a great idea.  How would you want to structure this?  Would
students sign up?

I think it would be good to have some mentors floating around having casual
conversations, too.  Perhaps we can see what mentors are interested in
having these one on one conversations?

>    -
>

>    - Early afternoon
>       - *Version control / git subgroups*. Students choose a group based
>       on their comfort / level, and work on something with a small group and a
>       mentor.
>

>    - Advanced git
>    - Intro to git (git add, rm, commit, push, pull, status)
>    - Concepts of version control
>

>    - Later afternoon
>       - *Contributions workshop*
>          - I think it would be nice to have a lot of issues / bugs lined
>          up for students to jump into.

This is pretty standard.  We should have a bunch of issues for folks to
work on, at least a few dozen across 4-5 projects, and hopefully more.  The
only caveat is that these issues will be available to students at all of
our events, so folks will get practice communicating with remote people
about who is doing what.  :)