[Campus-hartnell-staff] following up

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Sat May 10 01:10:24 UTC 2014

I'm so glad to hear that!  Things are a little hectic this weekend with
another event and a sprint we're hosting, but I'd love to talk with you
next week about how we can follow up and support you and your students.
 For instance, maybe we can help you plan for Open Source Day and have
people available remotely via IRC to help.  :)

> Also, students have kept asking me questions about the mentors and for
> their email addresses. If you don't want to be emailed, let me
> know---though it may be too late! I keep hearing snippets of conversation
> like "Didn't $MENTOR say he did $COOL_PROJECT?" I think for most students,
> the highlight of the day was time talking to the mentors in small groups.

That's a change we've made recently -- we've always been theoretically in
favor of small groups, but haven't pushed the structure until the last few
events.  I think the small group set up really gives students and mentors a
chance to bond.  :)

> I'm not sure exactly you did it, but you've made the students see the
> value of the command line and version control, and they are generally more
> confident and ready to try their hand at contributing. It's amazing!

Again, I'm really happy to hear that.  Would you be willing to write a blog
post about the event?  It doesn't have to be a long one, and there's no
deadline (we just posted a summary of an event we did back in November).
 If that's something you have the time and energy for, we'd appreciate it.

Looking forward to talking more about what's next!  :)

best
Shauna