[Campus-hartnell-staff] stuff to do

Katie Cunningham kcunningham at csumb.edu
Tue Apr 22 23:44:55 UTC 2014

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the email! Things are busy around here, but that's nothing new :)

Publicity:
>  -- The website is up, but I notice there's no sign ups.  What are your
> plans for publicity, and how can we help?

I was asked to distribute the information to CSUMB students today, and I
will do the same for the cohort students. I estimate 30 cohort students
(definitely) + 10 non-cohort students (less definitely). Let's check in
about attendees in a couple days---we should have signups by then.

> Logistics:
> -- Are you all set on funding/budget?  If not, let us know.

Thanks for giving me the push to follow up on the funding requests. The
final tally is that we can provide funding for
OpenHatch volunteers' lunch
OpenHatch volunteers' gas money

To do this, the grant people say we need an invoice from you. Is that
possible?

> Mentors:
> -- We've got a couple people coming down from SF, and will keep looking,
> but it seems right now like we'll probably get somewhere between 2-4 people
> from SF.

Fantastic!

My initial outreach wasn't as successful as I'd hoped, but I'm reaching out
to friends in tech in Santa Cruz and the Bay Area. I already have one
graduate student from UCSC who is interested.

> Can you tell me what schools and major towns are within half an hour of
> where the event will be?  I can do some investigating and see if there are
> locals to invite.

We're sorta on the moon in some ways, but the major towns are: Salinas,
Seaside, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel. CSU Monterey Bay is
the only 4-year school, and there are a few community colleges: Hartnell,
Monterey Peninsula College. There is also the Naval Postgraduate School,
which has a lot of tech, but is not as open as a typical university because
of its military affiliations. There is the Monterey Institute for
International Studies and Defense Language Institute.

Santa Cruz is within 40 minutes, and I think that may be the best source of
volunteers. UC Santa Cruz is there, and I've also heard some buzz about the
Santa Cruz New Tech Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/santacruznewtech/

> -- Even if we have a small group of mentors, I think we can have a solid
> event.  We'll be able to cover all of the curriculum, and we can focus on
> doing pair programming and group work that will help students help each
> other.

I agree, no matter what it will be great. I am hopeful though that I can
grab a couple more software engineering friends from the Bay Area :)

Thanks again for all you do!
-Katie