[Campus-gmu-staff] Meeting set up with mason scheduling manager

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 23:48:18 UTC 2014

> The next step on our end is setting up a menu (we're thinking three meals,
> with persistent snacks available) and passing it by dining. Catering will
> be within our budget.

If that's within your budget, that's great.  Having breakfast available
gives students an incentive to arrive early, and dinner gives them a reason
to stay late.  :)

> If you think it would be useful, we'd also be open to contacting faculty
> to be involved in the event in some fashion. I don't know how flexible your
> schedule and organization is for these events, but if additional staff
> would be useful, we will hopefully be able to wrangle together some
> professors or graduate students.

It would definitely be good to recruit more volunteer staff.  We aim for a
4:1 mentor:student ratio at these events.  Our average event is about 30
attendees, so we try to get 7-8 mentors.  Is that about the scale you were
imagining?

> We're also in the process of setting up a web presence for the event (
> hackmason.org) and will be beginning advertising & registration soon.
> What sort of a head count do you think would be appropriate? We can take
> names/emails on the website and limit registration.

As I said above, 30 attendees and 7-8 mentors is about average for us.  We
get about 25% no-shows for attendees, so this usually means about 40
confirmed sign ups (with another 10-20 people who sign up but never confirm
attendance).  Generally the more mentors the better.

As far as web presence goes, as an FYI we have a publicity website you can
use as a template (see the most recent event's here:
http://princeton.openhatch.org/).  Feel free to do your own thing, but I
want to make sure you know we have that resource available.