[Campus-depaul-staff] sign ups & student mentors

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:56:15 UTC 2014

We have 90 sign-ups!  Amazing.  I closed the form so we don't overflow the
room, but gave folks a link for where to follow up if they're still
interested.

Two thoughts:

1) I noticed that a significant portion of the sign-ups - maybe 10-15
people - say they are familiar with all of the tools we teach in the first
part of the day: irc, issue trackers, version control, git.  I would
recommend emailing these students and asking if they're interested in
mentoring during the first half of the day.  If not, they can come late if
they want.  (We should make sure they see the materials on the curriculum
part of the site first, to make sure they actually know all the stuff we
teach.)
I'd offer an advanced git lesson for them, but none of our mentors has
volunteered to lead an advanced lesson.  We could find someone to do so
remotely, if that's something you'd like to offer.

I can take care of these emails if folks prefer.

2) With all those late sign-ups, we may want more mentors.  By my count,
there are 9 mentors - Sheila, Massimo, Jonathan, Bonnie, David, Ian, Jim,
Karl and Lincoln.  Unless anyone protests otherwise, I'm going to go ahead
and try to recruit a few more people.  Feel free to recruit additional
people if you know folks who'd like to mentor!