[Campus-depaul-staff] advanced attendees

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 00:22:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Sheila expressed some concern that we won't be able to accommodate more
advanced attendees.  I wanted to share some suggestions:

- Many advanced students enjoy mentoring newer students.  We can email
students ahead of time and ask if they're interested in mentoring during
the tutorials part of the day.

- For the git section of the morning, specifically, we can have the
advanced students do more advanced lessons.  OpenHatch doesn't provide
these tutorials, but there are many available online, for instance:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/advanced-overview/
If there is a local mentor who'd be comfortable leading a group, that's
great.  If not, we can get a remote git expert to help.  I have
successfully taught git via IRC, so it's totally doable.

- If students want to jump right into contributing, we can create a back
table and assign them a mentor who is willing to work with them throughout
the day.

best
Shauna