[Campus-davis-staff] Feedback from sticky notes

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:19:03 UTC 2014

Hi everyone! Here's the feedback from attendee sticky notes:

*Green sticky notes (good things / things people learned):*

* How to use git; Install IRC; Learn some commands

* Awesome way of interacting with tools while listening to lecture.

* GitHub. How to pick a project.

* Learned more git! + how open source projects work.

* Open source possibilities for designers.

* I learned that you can tag git commits and use them to reference commits.

* I learned how to use IRC chat.

* Learned: how to get involved with open source projects by Googling
information about the project and lurking the repository for information.

* IRC. Never used it before, and it looks like there are awesome channels
for webdev.

* I learned about git revert, and how totally kick ass it is.

* Open source can be used for good (humanitarian projects)!

* How to properly find open source projects.

* I learned how to find projects to work on.

* I learned how to use git better. I learned a process to start on open
source projects. Improvement: run through an example open source project we
edit.

* 1) How easy it is to search for projects and find important contacts. 2)
How many open source projects are out there.

* Learned how to gain credibility. Like to learn more about popular tools.

* Learned how to navigate git.

* Learned how to gain exposure in open source projects.

* 1) What branching it git actually is. 2) Open source is actually a big
thing.

* I get to know more about open source projects! Found some cool projects
and want to try to explore them. :) Thank you!

* How to collaborate using git.

* I only learned about the /me command in IRC. Too easy. :(

* Open source/free software doesn't necessarily mean free as in $0.00, but
it means that the source code is freely available to the public & changes
can be made.

* Git.

* How to use git; how open source software works.

* I learned how to set up git, and get little familiar of open source
project.

* Found some cool open source projects that relate to my interests.

* Git commands.

*Purple sticky notes (things to be improved):*

* Thanks for holding this workshop. If you could have a project
demonstration set up and we can see how it is edited, that would be great.

* Organization of the event should be better. We had no schedule. We did
not know what to expect, when the breaks are, are there breaks? Lunch at 1
pm is too late.

* Workflow to using git and GitHub

* Maybe explain how this is important in today's world. Make this event
accessible to everyone on campus.

* I'm fairly new to programming, but I'd really like to actually find a
project where I can find/fix bugs and contribute code. Help!

* Want to learn about how people contribute to Python.

* Too easy. :( Since this was tailored to CS students, the materials should
be a little more intermediate. [crossed-out: I learned about the /me thing
on IRC.]

* Suggestion: during the git portion, explain what each command is for more
thoroughly.

* Sound system for louder speaker.

* Have donuts and coffee at the time mentioned.

* Learning the basics of git beforehand!

* Question: How has open source been profitable to developers when people
are able to download it?

* Maybe give some extra info about why open source is good, why we should
open source code.

* How to get involved in projects other than finding bugs? OpenHatch: who
are you? You never explained! What was the point of git exercise? It did
not make sense. Also without looking at the hint, it was not clear at all.