[Campus-columbia-staff] logistics for open source event

Jonah Bossewitch jonah at ccnmtl.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 30 22:10:43 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone!

Yes, its definitely harder than it should be to get space on campus.  In
my experience, its easier for students than officers to get space, and
there are all sorts of nooks and crannies to exploit, but it will take
some hustle to plan a full day event for April 20 or 21.

I can't really think of a suitable space in Butler (will this event be
CU folks mostly, or from all over?  It's kinda a pain to get many
outsiders into Butler.  And, they have started charging a fee for
cleanup if you have food).

Did any of you hear about (or attend) this recent event?
http://feminismseast2013.thatcamp.org/  They used some nice space in
barnard and might be able to help out.

Otherwise, I have a list of places we use at CCNMTL, but not too many of
them are free.  Teachers College comes to mind.

At least 30 ppl isn't huge.

The timing won't really work out here, but I know some folks that are
plotting to establish some make/hack spaces on campus.

Actually - have you contacted Jeffery Lancaster at the Digital Science
Center?  http://library.columbia.edu/indiv/dsc.html

The libraries (not just butler) really should be able to help you out.

Unfortunately, I will be down in rutgers on the 20th, but might be able
to drop by if this happens on the 21st.

cheers,
/Jonah