[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, January 2014

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Sat Feb 1 00:40:31 UTC 2014

    OpenHatch newsletter, January 2014 <http://openhatch.org/blog/?p=2431>

Open Source Comes to Campus: Columbia
<http://flickr.com/photos/paulproteus/11245845615> / CC-BY-SA
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/>

Welcome to OpenHatch newsletter number 18.

OpenHatch at Grace Hopper Open Source Day
<http://openhatch.org/blog/2014/openhatch-at-grace-hopper-open-source-day/>:

    Two events – one past, one future – have come out of Open Source
    Day. Sri Raga Velagapudi, our technical facilitator, invited us to
    Rutgers. Within two weeks we were able to pull togethera great
    event! We’ve also been in touch with Andrea Frost, Director of
    Leadership Development for Western Washington University’s
    Association for Women in Computing, who hopes to run an Open Source
    Comes to Campus event at her school sometime this year. Andrea
    emailed us soon after the event to say “thank you so much for taking
    the time to walk us through the tutorial. My classmate and I were
    attending our first open source event ever in our lives, and we were
    a bit intimidated at the beginning. It was great to meet your team
    and to have some fun in a group setting.” Needless to say, this is
    the kind of email that makes our work feel worthwhile.

Open Source Comes to Campus: notes and photos of events at University of
Minnesota at Morris
<http://openhatch.org/blog/2014/teaching-open-source-at-morris/> and
Columbia
<http://openhatch.org/blog/2014/teaching-open-source-at-columbia-university/>.

We’re setting our Open Source Comes to Campus
<http://campus.openhatch.org/> schedule for the winter/spring semester.
Interested in volunteering for a local event or helping remotely? Have a
potential sponsor? Get in touch.

On January 4, several contributors, including brand-new contributors,
met up at a cafe in San Francisco
<https://secure.flickr.com/photos/paulproteus/11770380183/in/set-72157639424118635>
to work on an OpenHatch website sprint
<http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/devel/2014-January/003366.html>!
We used our own advice from the In-Person Event Handbook
<http://opensource-events.com/> for organizing it. We reviewed a pile of
pull requests, edited documentation, fixed some bugs, and ate tasty
sandwiches – see Asheesh’s extensive notes on the mailing list
<http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/devel/2014-January/003374.html>.

Practical thread on OH-events list concerning how to approach disengaged
attendees
<http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/events/2014-January/thread.html#546>.

In Asheesh Laroia’s Inbox <http://www.asheesh.org/note/me/mailbox.html>:

    “I had a student stop by the office today and tell me that
    Saturday’s event was a real game changer for him.”

      New projects in the OpenHatch volunteer opportunity finder

  * python-requests <https://openhatch.org/projects/python-requests>,
    “an Apache2 Licensed HTTP library, written in Python, for human beings”.
  * Retroshare <https://openhatch.org/projects/Retroshare>, a
    “cross-platform, Friend-2-Friend and secure decentralised
    communication platform”.

      OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

Video of Linux.conf.us talks by Ashe Dryden (Programming Diversity
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedsHLzf4mU>) and Karen Sandler
(Bringing More Women to Free and Open Source Software
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDUMXEfvAME>).

Planet Women in Free Software <http://planeteria.org/wfs/> aggregate blog.

Leslie Hawthorn’s Nerd Story: What You Say to Young Girls Matters
<https://www.linux.com/community/blogs/127-personal/758147-my-nerd-story-what-you-say-to-young-girls-matters>.

Python for Adults