[OH-Dev] Sprint details

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Jan 4 06:23:01 UTC 2014

Overall goal of OpenHatch
-------------------------

OpenHatch’s goal is to make the free software/open source community more
welcoming to newcomers. To do this, we provide curricula and logistical
support for running “Intro to Open Source” workshops, a website with links
to hopefully-easy bugs in other open source projects & a way to browse
them called the "volunteer opportunity finder," interactive teaching tools
for learning open source-related skills called "training missions", and
several other projects in progress.

Goals of the sprint
-------------------

I don't know who all will be there, but my sense from IRC is that
MarkTraceur, britta, ArcTanSusan, and paulproteus at least will be there.

I personally see the following as especially important things to work on:

* Reviewing pull requests that fix existing issues, and giving people
feedback and/or merging them

* Fixing urgent technical issues, such as
http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue910

* Finding ways to enable people to do more without unnecessary doubt and
without needing to await permission or explanation from another project
member (to me, this includes code reorganizing and documentation work),
such as http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue889 and
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue911

* Respond to bugs in the bug tracker, and find out which ones we can close
by deciding not to fix, or which ones are important issues that we should
prioritize

To make that more clear:

A base goal: Two pull requests have been reviewed. Two tests that fail
with MySQL now pass. Two bits of documentation have been read for clarity,
and clarity issues have been filed.

A reach goal: Base goals plus: the goals and status of our summer GSoC
projects are been documented. Two extra pull requests reviewed, and at
least two have been merged. Two bits of documentation have pull requests
submitted or wiki edits made to improve clarity. We've chosen a ticket
tracker to use for hello at openhatch inbound mails, and have a plan for how
to proceed forward with that. We've done some Javascript re-organizing
that improves clarity, and makes it easier to document where our
Javascript lives. (Reach reach: We've documented more about our
Javascript.)

(I think that britta particularly had some additional personal goals.)

Project setup
-------------

We have reasonably well-tested development environment setup instructions
for the main website code here:
http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/installation.html

If you want to work on the bug importer code, its installation is
documented here:
http://oh-bugimporters.readthedocs.org/en/latest/intro.html#installation

General instructions for testing changes can be found here
<http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/handling_patches.html#test-your-changes>.
Specific tasks may have additional documentation (for instance,
documentation changes
<http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/documentation.html>.)

OpenHatch’s guide to submitting changes can be found here
<http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/handling_patches.html>.

These installation instructions are tested nightly on Ubuntu 12.04 and
Debian stable. Last verified on Windows XP 11/7/2013 and on Mac in spring
2013.

Contact info
------------

OpenHatch has two places for contact info, which we try to keep updated
and consistent with each other. There’s our contact info in the
documentation
<http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/community/contact.html>,
primarily linked to from our source code repository, and our contact info
in the wiki <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Contact>, primarily linked to from
the website’s main page.

Project structure
-----------------

A description of the top-level structure of the OpenHatch project can be
found at Project Overview
<http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started/project_overview.html>.
A description of the structure of OH-Mainline
(the repository that runs our website) can be found here
<https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/blob/master/LAYOUT>.

Specific tasks for the sprint
-----------------------------

I'll be adding and documenting specific tasks here:

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ohsprint

I'll start that in a few minutes, but I haven't really started it yet.

Huge thanks

To anyone who read this far, thanks!

To Shauna Gordon-McKeon, for being the primary author of
http://opensource-events.com/ which is what I followed in writing this.
(My strategy was to make sure I wrote something in here for everything
labeled "EXAMPLE" there).

To anyone who will be at the sprint, yippee, looking forward to it.