[OH-announce] OpenHatch newsletter, February 2013

Mike Linksvayer ml at openhatch.org
Wed Feb 27 15:47:48 UTC 2013

OpenHatch newsletter number 7. We love you so much we'd offer you a
gratis ride into [0]space if it were safe to do so.

It's been a busy month, as Open Source Comes to Campus for Women in
Computing ramps up.

We're still looking for more women's colleges and women in CS groups
excited about bringing open source teaching to their campuses. If
that's you, or your company wants to sponsor such events, let us know:
hello at openhatch.org. You can read more about our plans through the
[1]sponsor prospectus.

Events

    We ran 2013's first Open Source Comes to Campus for Women
    in Computing event, in collaboration with [2]Harvard Women in
    Computer Science, on Sat February 16! [3]Read more about the event.

    Catherine Devlin reports on [4]first Columbus Python Workshop
    for women and their friends: a success! Catherine also started
    a great thread on the OpenHatch events list about [5]increasing
    economic diversity at OpenHatch-style events.

    We're working on the [6]Events section of the OpenHatch wiki to
    make it an awesome resource for all running events and groups to
    share and learn from. As [7]Daniel Choi writes:

        RailsBridge Boston would be very interested in a good list of
        local organizations, events, and resources that our attendees
        can turn to.  We're holding a workshop this weekend, for 53
        women and 7 men, with 21 teaching assistants. It would be
        great to give them all really good info for ways to follow
        up and follow through.

        I think if OpenHatch could make wiki pages of resources for
        each city that would be like a *cave filled with gold*.

    How could we not add emphasis?

    We're also now welcoming outreach events to [8]affiliate with
    OpenHatch. It's a way to show solidarity with other events that
    aim to measure their impact, work with existing communities, and
    change open source projects and programming language user groups
    for the better.  We'll be blogging more about that in the future!

    For upcoming Open Source Comes to Campus events, we've been
    wanting to improve our process for identifying good first tasks
    for newcomers to open source projects. So we've worked out a more
    [9]human-oriented workflow for identifying bitesize bugs that we'll
    use for these events.  The tasks presented to students at the
    Harvard event were a combination of ones found via the existing
    [10]volunteer opportunity finder, and this new process. Stay
    tuned as we continue to experiment.

OpenHatchy but not OpenHatch things around the web

    The Free Software Foundation and Students for Free Culture have
    started the [11]Empowermentors Collective: a group for women of
    color and queer people of color.

    An update on [12]GNOME's Outreach Program for Women: 25 in the
    current class.

    Computing CFP are due March 15.

    Dev Bootcamp Chicago has a short post on [14]learning how to
    attract women to web development.

    The beginnings of a directory of [15]FOSS Groups for Women and
    Girls at WSIS.

    You can now subscribe to improve the quality of bugs, one a
    day, in a wide variety of projects, hosted on Github, through
    [16]CodeTriage.

Get involved

    The OpenHatch [17]wiki. "It's a wiki!" That means you can [DEL:
    edit :DEL] help fill it with gold.

    [18]Read previous newsletters.

    [19]Like, follow @openhatch at [20]identi.ca or [21]Twitter.