[WMF-outreach-staff] Laptop setup progressing well

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Jul 21 06:07:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, John Morrissey wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 03:29:27AM -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>> I can do further writing + testing, but here are some "ports" I
>> would appreciate:
>>
>> * "Port" the "Install a web server that can run PHP" to Mac OS. I
>> would suggest trying this with MAMP 1.9.6.1 since it's the most
>> compatible with earlier versions of Mac OS. (Sheila and John, I
>> think, are on top of this.)
>>
>> * "Port" the "Install MediaWiki onto that server" to instructions
>> Mac OS. (Probably best if that's the same person as above.)
>
> I ported both pages to OS X, using MAMP.
>
> I also tried the stock OS X 10.6 httpd (Apache 2.2.21, PHP 5.3.8), and MW
> seems to configure fine with that too, FWIW.
>
> Dunno if you have a preference which you'd like to ultimately suggest using.
> If you're supporting 10.5.x, I'm not sure what version of PHP it ships with,
> so that might weigh in favor of using MAMP since it's a known quantity.

John, and Sheila, I just wanted to say thank you for your work on this! We
had one person with a weird MySQL-related problem with MAMP, but as it
happens, our MediaWiki instructions didn't require MySQL anyway so that
was no big deal.

A full report is still forthcoming, but we helped lots of people get wikis
installed locally, and your review and writing here was crucial for making
that go as smoothly as it did.

-- Asheesh.